Skip to main content
The Official Web Site of the State of South Carolina

Recent News

Tue, 01/26/2021

Our artifact of the week this week is a photograph of Captain and Mrs. John Daniel sitting outside E.M. Snipes photography studio in Anderson. Elbert Monroe Snipes was a photographer in Anderson…

Tue, 01/19/2021

This Spot-Flood Lamp was produced by the Brenkert Light Projection Company of Detroit Michigan between 1911 and 1921. According to the donor it was the first of its kind in Anderson County and was…

Tue, 01/12/2021

Not only do our archives hold many interesting pieces of military, architectural, and local history, we also collect and protect scientific history.


This herbarium was collected by…

Tue, 01/05/2021

This week's artifact is the August 1892 issue of Godey's Lady's Book, the so called "Queen of the Monthlies," published from 1830 to 1896. This magazine was one of the most popular women's…

Tue, 12/29/2020

This World War II era tank radio was brought home by US Marine James K. (Jake) Phillips of Belton during his tours of duty in World War II and Korea. As equipment was being thrown away or salvaged…

Thu, 12/17/2020

This booklet, entitled “Christmas Carols,” was created by Ideal Laundry and Cleaners in 1949. The company distributed these booklets to their customers during that Christmas season.  It included…

Tue, 12/15/2020

Happy Holidays from the Anderson County Museum! This week's artifact of the week are these handmade cotton boll ornaments 

from Mrs. Hanks of Honea Path. In the south, cotton has long been…

Tue, 12/08/2020

These cast iron coal tongs date to the late 1800s. They differ from many other coal tong designs of that time because they are spring loaded and operate via a handle in the grip.

Thu, 12/03/2020

This hat was worn by Andersonian Jean Conselyea who joined the Police Department in 1957 as a meter maid. She was eventually promoted to its first female officer. The above photo shows Michelline…

Mon, 11/23/2020

Did you know that the Anderson County Museum wasn’t the city's first museum? In the 1950s and ‘60s, Dr. D. L. Kay ran the "Electric City Museum" in a concrete building on South Main Street. It…

Tue, 11/17/2020

From 1913 to 1954, the South Fant Street School was one of the primary schools for Black Andersonians within city limits. This photograph shows some of the early faculty members at the school from…

Tue, 11/17/2020

One of the great things about working in the museum field is that each day is a little different. This week, we had the chance to do some light preservation work on a key artifact of the museum…